Day 1


May 31, 2014




Day one. We finally did it. As of 7 o'clock this morning we are free. Call us what you want; vagabonds, wanderers, homeless, it all works. Whatever you want to call us, it doesn't matter because we won't be around to hear it. We have left and it feels pretty good.

We are starting our way north for the summer which will take us through the San Juan islands, the Canadian Gulf islands, and up the Inside Passage towards Alaska. At this point, we aren't sure how far north we will get since we are going to make a serious effort to take our time and soak in our surroundings.

We tried our best to spend time with family and friends before we took off but it didn't really work out as well as I had hoped. Sorry to all of you who we weren't able to see. You will be missed but you are welcome to come visit :-)

I do have to say that it was a great day to leave. Beautiful sunny skies but unfortunately dead calm. I couldn't have bought an ounce of wind at Walmart if it was on sale. Kind of disappointing to not be able to sail on our first day out. I think it would have been much more symbolic to be able to sail off towards the horizon instead of listening to the drone of the motor for 8 hours as we made our way North.

Leaving Shilshole.....its flat calm


But, since I had about 8 hours of listening to the rattle of the diesel, and since I am a big list guy, I made a little list of what I wanted to accomplish with our trip North this summer.



  1. Notice little things. Its pretty easy to gloss over how amazing of a place the Great Northwest is. I have lived here for a long time and I tend to forget that this is one of the best places on Earth. Soak it all in because I don't know if or when we will be back.
  2. Slow down. We aren't in any kind of race (unless Mik and his mighty boat “Split Crow” is on the water...then its on!)
  3. Get out of my comfort zone. Experience everything.
  4. Don't eat too many Cheez-its. I need to work on number 4
  5. Document our trip and take pictures. When I am old and senile, I want some proof that we had a big adventure.

At the end of day one, we are at Hope Island near Deception Pass. It is a beautiful island with bunches of hiking trails that we have always wanted to check out. So here we are. Checking it out. We are probably going to be here for a couple of days so we can decompress and ease into our new lifestyle.

 
The most important thing that I can tell you after day one is that we are going to need more Cheez-its. They are the hot snack on the boat and if day 2 goes like day 1, we are going to have a Cheez-its crisis awfully soon.

Comments

  1. That guy Mik with the fast boat. I've heard of him. Do you have a link to his website or any way I can follow his accomplishments?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I can't tell you how to follow him since our boat is generally in front of his. He could probably tell you what our stern looks like though.

      Delete
  2. I walked down the dock the same morning you guys left. Seeing the empty slip where your boat had been tied up made me smile. I felt so, so happy/jealous/motivated/proud to walk by your old spot on E Dock and know that you guys have made it happen. This post is fantastic and it is a fact that Cheez-its have addictive properties! Might as well call them Crack-its.
    -Craig

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Double Birthday and the Italian Connection

Balls Hot

The Garnet Ghost Town