The saying goes like this


There are 2 sayings that have been going through my head for the last couple of days. The first is “I learn something new every day”. And the second I've heard said from other, much more experienced and wiser sailors than myself. I've also read it on the internet so I know its true. The saying goes something like... “cruising is just a chance to work on your boat in more exotic places”....or something like that.

At Rosario

So far we've been gone for 10 days, which by the way is the longest continuous amount of time off I have had in the past 10 years. Out of those 10 days, there have been 2 that I haven't had to work on or fix something, and that was because I refused...I'm on vacation you know. I'm not complaining...I'm just saying...2. That's not a big number. I hope the ratio of work to fun changes.

I won't bore you with all of details of fixing various boat bits but I will share with you my new list. You may remember from a previous rambling that I am a big list guy so this is a list of things I have learned in the last 10 days. They are in no particular order and some of these things I already knew but they have been reinforced recently.
  1. Working sucks. It was a huge waste of time. Not working is much better.
  2. Sunscreen is my friend
  3. In a fight between an anchor and your finger...the anchor always wins. Score...anchor 1 - broken finger 0.
  4. Showers are much better in the cockpit in the warm sun.
  5. Hot water is a luxury.
  6. Friends are great to have around (thanks for visiting Brad).
  7. Friends are great to have even when they are not around (thanks for saving our water maker Lani).
  8. Ice cream is really good.
  9. The Northwest is incredibly beautiful...especially on a sunny day.
  10. Brenda may have scurvy. She is so happy to not be working that I can't tell if she is giddy or crazy from scurvy.
  11. Sailing is fun.
  12. Exploring is fun.
  13. We love Wifi...its like a hidden treasure when we find it.
  14. I love Cheez-its (I really never knew this before).
  15. Tide tables and charts are important and its even more important to read them. No problems for us but I have seen 3 boats high and dry and heard about quite a few more on the radio.
  16. Fixing your boat while at anchor is more fun that fixing your boat at the dock.
  17. Don't drop boat bits in the water. If you do, they are gone for good.
  18. I love bacon...mmmmmmmmm...we don't have any bacon...we need bacon.
  19. When walking to the grocery store that is a couple of miles away, bring 2 backpacks, otherwise guess who gets to carry everything.


Anyway, that's the current rendition of the list. I am sure that I'll add more as we go along.


Hiking around Moran State Park

We have really been having fun beyond the boat work. We had our good friends Brad and Loraine visit us at Rosario on Orcas Isand and really had a great time. It's always been one of my favorite spots up here and it didn't disappoint again. We have had amazing weather and surprisingly good wind so we have been able to sail quite a bit. If only I had someone up here to race......... (“Split Crow” this is your challenge).

Comments

  1. Time for a trip back to the chapter on Medicine at Sea. Brenda does not have scurvy. First of all, it takes 60-90 days to appear. She would be lethargic, not giddy. Then her joints would start to hurt, old wounds would open up and her breath would become foul. But should her teeth begin to fall out I would definitely switch from Cheez-its to limes. So....I think we can put the giddiness down to run of the mill pshyciatric instability.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Double Birthday and the Italian Connection

Balls Hot

The Garnet Ghost Town