A Simple Equation

“What is your plan?” That is the most common question we get. It's also the most common question I ask of other cruisers and I should know better. Since we can't plan our way out of a paper bag anymore, I shouldn't be surprised that other sailors can't either. What does surprise me is when another cruiser tells me they are going to be at such and such place, on such and such date, and at such and such time.

Since we have been professional travelers, wanderers, and adventurers for almost 2 ½ years now, I can tell you that we have learned a few things. Not many, but a few. The first and foremost thing we've learned is that planning specifics is impossible for us.

I can give you generalities about our plans, like the fact that we are sailing to Mexico and that we aren't going to enter the country until after November 1st because that is the official end of hurricane season. Other than that, I can't tell you anything else about where we are going, when we'll be there, or how long we'll be there. I can't tell you what we are going to do while we are there, what we'll see, how many tacos I'll eat at which taco truck, or how much diarrhea I'll get while trying out different types of mystery meat. I can't even tell you which country we are going to after Mexico. It's impossible for us to plan that far ahead.

I can probably tell you there are cities, towns, islands, and beaches we would like to see, I can tell you about hidden, off the beaten track places we've heard about from other cruisers, and I can tell you that we would like to see everything humanly possible. But when we'll be there and for how long? Nope. Impossible.

For most people, while you are going through the motions of daily life - working, eating, sleeping, taking kids to school, etc... Most of those things happen by a schedule. When we were working, we lived by the same schedule. We were planned down to the minute because that's what we had to do. I get it. But not working and not having to be anywhere at anytime, ever, means that our schedule is a bit looser.

It took a while for me to get used to the fact that I could just go to sleep when I was tired, I could wake up whenever I woke up (sometimes that's noon, and like this morning, sometimes it's before the sun), and I can go wherever I want to go almost whenever I want to be there (by sailboat, so getting there may take years).

We are constantly asked the “plan” question. We just don't have an answer. Sorry. Since I've always been a guy who enjoyed math (yes it's true), numbers, and useless information, I've decided to lay out a simple math equation to show you why we can't plan anything. And Gary, since I know you are reading this, I am hoping you can chime in down below in the comments and make sure my math is correct. For those of you who don't know Gary, trust me when I tell you he has one of the brightest math and science minds we know of, and since he is a seasoned traveler, he may know of some random event in nature that my equation doesn't account for. Maybe the Higgs bosun particle is to blame, maybe there is an 11th dimension that is pulling on us that superstring theory hasn't accounted for, or maybe it's simply because I'm not as good at math as I thought I was and my equation is all wrong. So get out your calculators, your pencils and paper, and let's do this.

Let's assume “Z” equals us at a specific location, on a specific date, and at a specific time.

“X” is our boat.

“Y” is Brenda and Myself.

The equation is this: X+Y=Z

Looks pretty simple doesn't it. Well, it's really not. Since a lot of you reading this have kids who just started a new school year that are probably way more advanced in math than me, grab your second grader and have him/her see if that equation makes sense. If they go to a decent school with a decent teacher, they will probably tell you that the equation is impossible to answer. And if they came up with that answer before you did, give their teacher a big thanks because it's a pretty difficult equations to solve.

As our good friend Gary may tell you (he has more math and science smarts than me, so he may tell me I'm wrong about all of this), there just isn't enough information set forth to solve the equation. The equation doesn't tell you anything about wind, waves, or general weather patterns. It doesn't take into account the 3 unplanned weeks we've spent in San Francisco fixing broken boat bits. It doesn't take into account the endless possibilities of places for us to stop at along the way. And most importantly, it doesn't take into account the amount of fun we are having in a particular spot which is the most common determining factor in whether or not we are going to stay in one place for any longer or shorter amount of time.

If while working on the equation you came up with “Z” equaling us at the Parthenon in Greece on June 18, 2021, please show me how you came up with that answer. Maybe I missed something and forgot to carry the 3.

We were just taking a walk with some of our sailing friends last night and discussing “plans”. Our friends gave vague explanations and time frames about where they are headed (Mexico for 6 months, then Central America, then possibly the South Pacific...no specifics, just general headings and general time frames based on general weather patterns). We understand vagueness and generalities so we were onboard with at least understanding their talk of planning.



After our walk with our friends and hearing about their plans, Brenda and I were talking about our plans. All we could come up with is that we are in no rush and if we are enjoying being in Mexico, we'll be there till it's time to move on. I couldn't get past the fact that if we decided to be there for 6 months, we would have to explore an entire country in a relatively short amount of time. Mexico is a big country and 6 months isn't much time to see it all. Then again, maybe 6 months is too much time and we'll move on before that. Then again, if I carry the 3, Greece is looking pretty good in 2021.

6 boats from our former dock in Seattle all happen to be in San Francisco at the Berkeley Marina at the same time (we are the only boat of the bunch with a racing stripe...so ours is obviously the fastest).  Most of us are continuing south to Mexico and beyond.  It's kind of amazing really.  And if you are wondering about Craig, the guy on the very left, yes he always looks like that.  We try not to stare. 

Some pretty amazing sunsets are happening in our back yard these days.

This guy has been hanging around on the dock lines an awful lot.  I don't trust him one bit.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Double Birthday and the Italian Connection

Balls Hot

The Garnet Ghost Town