A High Horse

If you know me well, then you'll probably know that I'm not one for holidays, birthdays, or anniversaries. They are just dates on a calendar to me. And no, it's not because I don't care that you were born or that Valentines Day is supposed to be all about our love for each other. It's because I don't like to be told to do something nice for someone on a specific day. I think we should be nice to each other every day, and if I want to get you a present because I saw something and thought of you, I'll do it. Not because it's a specific date on a calendar (I'm getting fired up and off topic already...sorry about that...back to the subject at hand). For some reason, May 31st of 2014 is a day that sticks with me and screams out for me to remember and celebrate it.

Before you get too excited and rush out to get me a nice gift, no it's not my birthday (even though I don't like holidays, I do like gifts...good chocolate is really hard to come by in Mexico...I'm just saying...some good chocolate the next time I see you wouldn't be a bad thing). Even though May 31, 2014 is not my birthday and it doesn't warrant gifts (other than some good chocolate the next time we see each other), it is however still a big day. At least it is to me.

On that big day, three years ago, we left on our big adventure and our lives have been forever changed for the better.

If you didn't catch the significance of that date, I'll slow it down and spell it out for you. It means that as of May 31, 2017, we've officially been on our big adventure for 3 whole years. And if you are wondering, 3 years of travel and adventure is a good thing. At least it is for us.

I don't want to get overly philosophical or cheesy with this bit of rambling today because I'm sure you can imagine how sunsets are better when you don't have to get up for work in the morning, how sunrises, the moon, and the stars all come alive at sea, and that Brenda and I are stronger as a couple because we are sharing this adventure together. It's probably silly for me to mention that we don't have to deal with traffic anymore, we don't have schedules or meetings to attend, and we don't have alarm clocks. We go to sleep when we are tired, we wake up when our eyes open, and we can sip a delicious cup of coffee all morning long if we like. I probably don't need to tell you that this adventure has changed us as human beings for the better, we are more in tune with our surroundings, and better stewards of the environment. It goes without saying that we are seeing and doing things that a very small sliver of the world's population will ever get to see and do. The vast majority of these past 3 years has had us living as if we were walking straight out of a National Geographic Magazine article. All of that stuff is the fluff that doesn't really need to be talked about because I really only have one thing I want to say to you after 3 years of exploring, roaming, and adventure.

Before I go any farther with this rambling and tell you this one thing, I am fully aware that our lifestyle isn't for everyone. I understand that a vast majority of the population's idea of a good time isn't hiking 20 miles into the backcountry with heavy packs just because there is a one of a kind rock formation to see, not everyone thinks it's a good idea to sail thousands of miles in the open ocean because the tacos are going to be great on the other end, and I know that for many of you, a 5 star all inclusive resort is what you have in mind when someone says adventure. I get it. Really, I do. If everyone's idea of fun and adventure was the same as ours, then all of these remote and out of the way places that we are enjoying would be overrun with people, and the charm, solitude, and wonderment of these places would be lost. So, what I want to say next is with the understanding that we are all different, with different comfort zones, and different ideas of a good time.

I'm usually not one to give out unsolicited advice, but what I'm about to tell you, well, it's important. After 3 years of exploring, roaming, and adventuring, I sort of feel like I should get on my high horse and tell you something – give you some words of wisdom from a slightly seasoned adventurer if you will. Because these past 3 years have undoubtedly been the best three years of our lives. And since we are all friends here, I want you to experience some of the same enjoyment, satisfaction, and fulfillment as we have had. You may want to grab a sticky-note, write what I'm about to tell you down, and then put that sticky-note on your bathroom mirror as a reminder to yourself when you wake up in the morning, because again, it's important. Ready? Here we go:

Go have an adventure.

That's it. Plain and simple. Go have an adventure. It doesn't matter what your idea of an adventure is - go do it. You'll be glad you did. Trust me.

I can hear some of you murmuring in the distance that you could never do what we are doing. That's right, you can't. Our adventure is ours. Get your own. We are doing what fits us. You do what fits you. If what fits you is buying a sailboat and setting off to see the world, then great. Hopefully we'll see you out on the high seas sometime soon. But, if what fits you is driving to your neighboring town's chocolate factory to surprise me with some good chocolate the next time we meet, well, that's just as great. Your adventure is yours so make it happen (and I still think some good chocolate the next time we see each other wouldn't be a bad thing...did I mention that I've been craving some good chocolate lately???).

If you are thinking that you don't have the time, money, or energy to have an adventure, well, quite simply, you are wrong. An adventure doesn't have to be on the same scale as ours. It doesn't have to be something that was years in the making or a battle with wind, waves, and mother nature. It can be as small and simple as turning left instead of right, just to see what's lies down the street. It can be trying something other than vanilla ice cream. It can be learning a new language or a taking up the guitar. Anything that takes you out of the day to day normal humdrum and reminds you that you are alive constitutes an adventure in my book. Of course, if it's not easy and if it even scares you just a little bit, those are good signs that you are on the right track.

I know there are few of you who are reading this right about now who still can't quite pull together a plan for an admirable adventure. Well, you're in luck, because I'm here to help. With S.N.U.G.G.L.E, my 7 important and professional adventuring tips, your adventure is sure to be a success.

    S - Start Small - An adventure doesn't have to be big or grand.
    N - Never underestimate the power of friends to enhance an adventure.
    U - Underwear – Make sure it's clean and wear it. An adventure isn't the time to go commando.
    G - Good chocolate and Cheez-its - Both are great adventuring snacks (and I'm craving both).
    G - Get out of your comfort zone.
    L - Let your hair down...unless you don't have any...give me a break, it's a figure of speech.
    E - Enjoy yourself. Remember, you're on an adventure. It's supposed to be fun.


See how easy that is? So, get out there and go have an adventure! Just remember to wear clean underwear. Trust me on that one.

Sometimes, this is what an adventure looks like.  Not too shabby.


Since we've been off the grid for the last few weeks, get ready for an overload of videos.  If the link below doesn't work on your device, copy and paste this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVlAVaaSnyE


If the link below doesn't work on your device, copy and paste this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH8xnfYuWYY



If the link below doesn't work on your device, copy and paste this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bsCoR-Vf6Y




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Double Birthday and the Italian Connection

Balls Hot

The Garnet Ghost Town