Anticipation

You may remember that roughly 5 months ago, we ordered a new mast for our sailboat. We sent a big fat check to some stranger in California (don't worry, it was sent to a reputable business...although it was still a big fat check to someone we've never met) and told him we were planning on sailing our boat down the coast this summer to Mexico. “No problem, we'll have it done before you need to leave” was the response I was given. I've had a slight tinge of trepidation for these past 5 months. Not because I didn't trust the business or the fact that it was a large sum of money we didn't plan on spending, but because without that mast, our sailboat wasn't going to take us to Mexico and beyond.

Well, the good news is that a couple of days ago, I received a phone call that said our new mast is finally starting to be fabricated, and in another month, that 70 foot long pole will be shipped up I-5 on the back of a huge truck and be ready for us to install.

The even better news is that on that very same day, Brenda called and said her brother is doing so well that it looks like he will be sent home a few weeks early, which means Brenda will be coming home a few weeks ahead of schedule too.

I could go on and on about why these 2 things are such good news, but really, it all boils down to one thing. It just means we will be able to get back to our big adventure.

I am aware that we have had a couple of years off work, we've been to some incredible places, and we've seen and done more than I thought was humanly possible. But what will officially signify to me that our adventure is fully under way is when we make the big left turn. All of you northwest sailors know what the big left turn is, but for those of you not in the know, I'll fill you in. It's when you sail out the Strait of Juan de Fuca into the big and mighty Pacific Ocean, turn left, and start heading south to Mexico.

If you know me well, you know that I have been talking about sailing around the world for almost 20 years. The big left turn is where it all begins for a boy from Seattle. Once you make that turn, you are committed and on your way. You are no longer in your own backyard. When we make the big left turn, I will feel like we actually left to see the world.

Again, I know we've had a pretty amazing couple of years and we've even visited some far off countries, but, I have felt like we have had one foot in and one foot out of the door. We have been too close to home for me to feel like we were actually seeing the world. Part of the reason is that we wanted to see more of the United States and our National Parks before we left, and part of it has been family medical emergencies keeping us here. But now that both of those things are mostly taken care of, I feel like it's time for us to really set sail and put this adventure into high gear.

In the last handful of months, we've had some really interesting invitations to join some of our friends on their boats in far off lands. These various offers were to hop on different boats in Australia, New Caledonia, French Polynesia, and another sailing from Mexico to the Marquesas. All of these offers were extremely tempting and a couple of them had me looking up flights to get there. But what ultimately kept me from going on each of those boats, was the fact that we've been planning to see these places for ourselves and on our boat. I think there is a bit more satisfaction when you put in the effort and make things happen for yourself. And more than anything, I want to be in our floating home, with us seeing these places for the first time, together.

You may know that not too long ago we joined some friends on their boat in the South Pacific and spent a couple of months exploring remote islands and sailing the high seas (thanks again for having us Larry and Karen). As great of an experience as it was, there were a few things we learned from that trip. First, we are capable of crossing oceans on our own, we have the skill set to do so, and our boat is prepared (once we get the new mast). Second, we really do want to see the world. Third, and most importantly, we want to do it together and on our own boat.

For the past handful of months, we have been in a holding pattern. Not only with waiting for the new mast, but waiting and hoping for good results with Brenda's brother. In a short couple of hours, with 2 separate phone calls, all of the sudden our waiting game is coming to an end. I feel like we have a purpose again, and that purpose is to sail our butts to Mexico.

You probably can't tell, but I am really excited about this. My head has been spinning since Brenda called and said she'll be coming home next week. And the spinning isn't totally because I now have to get this home on wheels cleaned up and make it look like some teenage boy hasn't been living here. It's a disaster in this place and I can tell you with 100 percent certainty that Brenda doesn't want to come home to a place that is in this bad of shape. The spinning is mainly from the fact that we have a ton of stuff that has to happen for us to sail to Mexico.

So for the past few days, I have been in work mode. I am suddenly efficient again. It's amazing what can be done when you have a purpose and a drive to make things happen. Our home on wheels has been turned into an office on wheels. I have made spreadsheets, made phone calls and sent emails, ordered spare boat parts and guide books, and have been studying Spanish like I probably should have been for the past 2 years. I have been studying so much Spanish that I've had my first ever dream in Spanish. I don't remember exactly how the dream went, but I do know that we were in a restaurant and I was able to order a coffee and a meal. I think that's progress.

After our new mast comes in, we'll have a few months before we will set sail for Mexico. We aren't exactly sure what we are going to do in those few months yet, but we do have some things that are high on our list of possibilities. Brenda would really love to hike a large portion of the Pacific Crest Trail, there are some canyons I would like to explore, and If I could figure out how to make it happen, I would love to pick up a motorcycle and ride up to and around Alaska. As always, there are more possibilities than time and money will allow. We'll see how things work out and of course we will do our best to keep you informed of what we are doing.


Below is a picture of 2 new guide books that arrived in the mail today. Nothing get's the wheels turning more than the excitement of anticipation, and the pictures and descriptions in these books definitely look exciting.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Double Birthday and the Italian Connection

Balls Hot

The Garnet Ghost Town