40


I have officially turned 40...yep, the big four-oh. I have been thinking about this big day for a little while now and to be honest, I have been a little bit afraid of the the big day. I've been trying to figure out why it's been bothering me to be out of my thirties and into my forties and I haven't really been able to come up with a good reason...other than it puts me one number closer to being in the dirt.

39 seemed sort of old...40 is old. I know, I know, it's not really that old. Some of my more elderly friends will say things like “oh, to be 40 again” or “I wish I was still 40”. Some of my younger friends will say things like “you're older than dirt!” or “did they even have dirt when you were a kid?” Well, I'm not actually older than dirt and yes dirt was around when I was a kid.

I have to say that I feel pretty good for being 40. I now think that the gray in my beard is probably supposed to be there and I feel pretty lucky that the hair on my head is still right where it is supposed to be. I don't have any aches and pains and I don't have to take any medications. Life for me is pretty great.

As far as I can tell, there doesn't seem to be any perks for hitting 40. I don't get to eat off of the senior citizens menu in a restaurant and I don't get a special parking spot (that doesn't really matter because we don't have a car anymore). I can't buy anything that I couldn't buy when I was 39. It's not like when you were 17 and turned 18 and now you could buy smokes or a lotto ticket. I don't get to collect social security or a pension and I still have to pay taxes. All that I get for being 40 is the chance to be a little bit wiser.

And really there doesn't seem to be any drawbacks. I don't have to do anything different than I have already been doing. We are pretty active so I don't have to join a gym and start exercising more. I don't have to eat less bacon since we don't ever have bacon at home (Brenda hates bacon and everything it stands for). My career isn't killing me slowly since I don't work anymore (not working is great in case you were wondering). Getting to 40 doesn't seem all that bad.

This seems to be just like any other day and these days are pretty great. I am on a big adventure with the person that I want to be on an adventure with. I get to see new and exciting things everyday. I feel pretty good...I just don't seem to have anything to complain about. Not too shabby turning 40.

So that's that. I'm 40. One number closer to being in the dirt. 39 was a good year and I'm sure 40 is going to be even better. So here's to another year.

Comments

  1. Jeff loves his wife. We all know that. He has told us that 182,722 times over 19 blogs.And love her he should. She was his therapist. She specializes in socio-schizoid-delusional disorders. Marrying one's patient crosses all professional boundaries but that's a topic for another day.
    Delusions? "Our boats" are old, heavy and slow? My boat is sleek and fast. Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee.
    The delusion,,,,,,,, the concentric delusion is his insult."Are you sailing with your anchor down ?" Well yes, I always have my anchor down when I race with Jeff; 40 kg CQR and 100 feet of 3/8 inch chain. Its great when there's a sandy bottom because letting the anchor drag really equalizes the rating between our boats. So back to the delusional state. His wishful thinking is that his insult is really just an insult, but its reality. He wouldn't know that as he can only see the stern of my boat. My anchor hangs off of the bow.
    And then back to Jeff loving his wife. I love my wife also. We generally make love while racing Jeff as this makes sail trim rather difficult. But my wife and I have made it easy by division of duties. My duty, well of course, its the pole, Chirs, yep, she grinds. When things get unruly sheets fly and terms like got to go to the head or going down below take on a whole new meaning.
    Occasionally we look back and yes, Jeff is still there.

    So yes we were late for the start line but then again we were in the cockpit.......

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Double Birthday and the Italian Connection

Balls Hot

The Garnet Ghost Town